7 Jul 2019

Love of my life – Part 11 – A poem


Love of my life – Part 11 – A poem by P.K. Odendaal – July 2019

There once was a wife who came into my life
To bring me some joy when I was a boy
But she left me for good which I then understood
Was the end of that game and the start of my shame.

Is there at last some chance that we can make an advance
And can we be sure that we both will endure
The joy and the pain that we feel once again?

Can there be truth in the love of our youth
Or must we always regret the terrible fact
That we acted too late to consummate
The love which we felt and the passion we held.

The love we were feeling and have been concealing
Could one day again bloom and almost consume
Our life and our time in moments sublime
When we would relate the cause of our fate
And ponder the reason for the subsequent treason
As we tried to fit pieces in this long lost thesis.

Yet we may aspire to something quite higher
To live at last and forget the past
Or maybe meet in some places discreet
Just to say how our hearts bleed as we both do concede
That it was not meant to be as we both doth agree.

It was a moment of joy when we both were so coy
which left us stranded and empty handed.
To live a life of pity and strife
As we struggled with doubt of what it’s all about
And what will become of what we have done.

In the end it might be interesting to see
That love conquers all if we both just stand tall
And fight for the right to meet in the light
Where our love will still shine as it did in our prime

 

No comments:

Post a Comment