Why it flows in ceaseless motion (from where it originated in the mountain)
To the all-absorbing ocean, (its grave)
Finding there the final goal. (its death)
It will say, I’m driven onward
By a force beyond control. (gravity)
From The Elixir of Love by Donizetti
- Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.
- I will form good habits and become their slave.
- I will greet this day with love in my heart.
- I will persist until I succeed.
- I will increase my knowledge of the world.
- I will live this day as if it is my last.
- Today I will be master of my emotions.
- I will laugh at the world.
- Today I will multiply my value a hundredfold.
- I will act now.However, many of us are instead waiting for that Elixir of Love (Life) and wait in vain as the words of Dulcamara, the quack in The Elixir of Love, invites us to do:To further my philanthropy,I travel night and day.So come and buy, come buy from meA bargain, by the way. Why even mention pay?This hearty booster made for youWhen silver age approachesNot only offers aid for you,But kills off rats and roaches.The claim corroborated,Confirmed and validated;I pass around the documentFor each and all to see.This bottle offers benefit;By tasting now and then of itA man well in his eighties,Who'd given up on ladies,Soon is the proud progenitorOf a dozen on his knee,And stronger than a stevedoreOf twenty two or three.And here's a soothing syrupDesigned to brace and cheer up;Decrepit widows sipping itGo skipping off with glee.You women, spry though elderlyWhose playful eye yet twinkles,With my exclusive recipeErase unwanted wrinkles.You gorgeous girls, I daresay,Would salvage your complexion.You lads would hear the fair sayYou suit me to perfection.Come, purchase youth and beautyFor the pittance that you pay.Today is bargain day.You owe yourself a duty,A ticket of admittanceTo eternal youth and beautyFor the pittance that you pay.So overcome your malady,Improve your personality,Combat unkind reality,Rejuvenate, reinvigorate …When down with laryngitis,Hepatitis Or Saint Vitus,Not to mention hypertension,Here's the bottle that you need.Perhaps you have a tendencyTo alcohol dependency,Your waist is getting bigger,You have lost your vim and vigour;Work and play are going poorlyAnd you're balding prematurely;The need is urgent surelyFor a friend to intercede.So purchase, purchase, one and all!You toddlers from the nursery,You codgers facing surgery,You can't afford delay.Oh, yes! A bargain, by the way.You barely have to pay.On the road I've weathered crisis,Seldom resting, often walking.You are asking what the price is?How much money are we talking?A hundred lire? No!Thirty? No! Twenty? …Now do not be offended,But you've made my stay so pleasantWith the welcome you've extendedThat I wish to make a present —To you each a crown for free!And this is why we are so quick to charge to the local mall or shop to buy something from that vanity fair to soothe our appetite for something we are not in ourselves.