13 Feb 2017

Fantasy is not reality … so what!


Fantasy is not reality … so what! – by P.K. Odendaal – February 2017

You see things (which are); and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?' George Bernard Shaw.
Ever since I have been ‘poisoned’ by G.K. Chesterton, I am trying to get to grips with the difference between science and fantasy, and the more I think about it the less I understand it.
In this regard I wish to refer you to my article:
The gist of the argument by Chesterton is that fantasy is in some sense more real than science. It is much easier to think of Jack’s beanstalk going up to heaven than to believe in the probabilities of quantum theory and mechanics.
It seems to be time for me to attack this subject with more than my usual fervour and irrationality.
Let us say that we live physically and in reality in a domain called Planet Earth which was under the dominion of Adam until Satan embezzled that from him. In the background we also live in our own domain of thought, emotion and experience and we have dominion over that. We also know that there is a meta- physical world out there - and maybe in here - where spirits and phantoms reside and there is a serious war going on regarding who has dominion over that.
And to top it all, oftentimes I am taken on an excursion into fantasyland or half-reality in my dreams which are mostly vivid, exciting, real and inspiring to me. Whilst I am in that land, I do not care what the meaning of reality or fantasy is, because, during that dream it is totally real to me, until I am waken to the fantasies of reality.
Of all these domains I really do not think that one is more real or more fantastical or imaginary than the other. For sure they are different, but there is no reason or notion that might convince me which ones are real and which ones are imaginary. In fact I do not care much which ones are and which ones are not – what difference would it make to me, to my life, to my thoughts and to my imagination.
Truth is stranger than fiction; so why do we not believe fiction, whilst we disregard truth so emphatically as we do? Somehow we cling irrationally to a supposed reality. There are many philosophies which can be read about the fact that reality is only in one’s mind.
The cognitive scientist Donald Hoffman uses evolutionary game theory to show that our perceptions of an independent reality must be illusions. Is there such a thing as a true reality – perhaps the whole world is a dream or a dance of consciousness dreaming itself alive. The real reality is within. What you see is an illusion, and only reflects what your brain is capable of showing you via its own mechanisms. Technically and physiologically speaking, you’re unable to see the truth that you live in an illusion that can equally imprison or free you.
So, please do not try and convince us fantasy junkies that one world or domain is more real than another. Yes, I have been trained in the rigorous analysis of science, mathematics and engineering as if they were real, but I soon found them to be imaginary and living in its own domain, subject now and then to some fanciful scientist thinking he or she has dominion over it. I am glad to share with you this very well kept secret … none of mankind can ever have dominion over it.
Happiness?  I am the happiest person when I have the happiest dream, and none of reality can come near to that happiness, because in reality the two – happiness and grief - are finely balanced and present, whilst in my dreams there is no competition between the two, because they are just what they are and do not vie for dominion over my dreams.
Grief? I see of lot of grief in real life, because oftentimes grief will bully happiness into subjection – although it will only be in our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment