13 May 2019

Oh, the rapture of love! – a poem

Oh, the rapture of love! – a poem by P.K. Odendaal – May 2019

I dreamed a dream which may be extreme
That love can be found when no one's around
For love does not care whether someone's there
To have and to hold in fire or cold

Until the pyres of our earthly desires
Vanishe from sight in the deep of the night
Leaving us still and content without life's lament
To let us acquire some other desire

Which transcends our mind and leaves us blind
To the failings of mortals outside the heavenly portals
Where grief fades away and love holds the sway
Melting us into one in the Light of the Son

Where we shall find that life is still kind
To those who won’t yield to what is concealed
and what breaks us apart and each vow of our heart.

I went to the throne but not all alone
To plead for my soul and to make my life whole
I was not alone for only Christ can atone
For all my transgressions by way of confessions

It was my desire as my soul was on fire
And thus I returned to the bridges I burned
To escape from the fate that was lying in wait
To drag me to Hell at the ring of the bell

I had been deceived into what I believed
That God was not there to save and to care
In stead I have found that there was no ground
In the merits of fate when I reached Heaven's gate

The pack which I carried was immediately buried
as Christ set me free from the curse of that tree
which wants to destroy my love and my joy
by making me a slave of Satan's enclave

And making me yield to things that's concealed
which let me get caught by mayhem and fraud
Whilst my desire wasn't to burn in that fire

So I rebuilt those bridges and levelled the ridges
Which saved me from shame for the sake of His name
And not getting lost, but saved at great cost
And satisfied my desire to be baptised with fire

To be a child of the Light with a future so bright
After Adam and Eve stained my reprieve
By Him that is able to let me sit at His table
Where I shall drink of His wine that will make me divine.

1 comment: