Creating a blog - Part 1

Creating a blog - Part 1 - by P.K.Odendaal - February 2015

So we have come to publish our own blog. It is not strange, because in five years' time everybody will have a blog. And why is that? Self expression. The baby boomers grew up in a time when almost nobody wanted or could express themselves. However, the new generation (only) want to express themselves.

The first requirement for self expression is that you must think before you speak and the second is that you must be perfectly honest - with yourself and with your readers. To be politically correct must be the lowest item on your priority list. Politically correct means lying in order not to offend anyone - and that you cannot maintain by being thoughtful and being honest.


There are three main avenues for the creation of your blog.

Blogger by Google which is a software program which enables you to just type and publish after you have set up your site with one of their templates. However, you must have a Google account or profile to do that. I am using a Blogger template, but it is very rigid and not easily customizable. Blogger has many bugs and workarounds, but if you have the time and inclination, which you must have to start blogging, then you can overcome that impediment. You do not need your own domain name for this, as Blogger creates one for you free of charge. In blogger you can just type like a wysiwyg style or you can write in HTML. Just typing or using HTML here is somewhat counter productive as Blogger bloats the text with unnecessary HTML code. I type my articles in Word and then just copy it to Blogger, and even that has some impediments and difficult formatting issues. Eighty per cent of my readers say that my blog loads superfast - so we are happy with that.

The other similar one is Wordpress. I have tried it long ago, but did not like it and I have heard of similar bugs and workarounds from people who use it. I am however not an expert on this. It is a download, so maybe you have more opportunity to customize it than Blogger.

The third one is developing your own website and getting your own domain name. For this you need to be able to program websites or at least have a working knowledge of HTML which is very easy. The big problem here is to keep your blog or website up to date as it is not easily updated with navigation links and formatted text.

So for our exercise I am afraid it is going to be Blogger.

I will assume that by this time you have already jumped up halfway through this article to make a Google profile and you remember the user name and password, which can be a very big obstacle, because the old days of using the same old short password over and over again are gone.

We have to think of a name of our blog. I think writersblog.blogspot.com is the most easy and confusing one - so we will use it. However, the name was not available so we have to be content with pastimewritersblog.blogspot.com - it is up and running - you can view it. The Header name of our blog can be something different and I was thinking of 'I was thinking ... a dangerous pastime I know'.

If you open my blog link you will find a link on the top right which says 'Create a blog' ... yes .. that is how easy it is. But more of this next time.


Spam ... if you use word verification with Blogger then you should not get any spam.








10 comments:

  1. What's up, I would like to subscribe for this website to get most up-to-date updates,
    thus where can i do it please help out.

    My page - garage door repair anaheim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! I'm at աork surfng aroiund уour blpg from
    mү new iphone 4! Jսst wanted to sɑy I love reading youг blog and lߋoқ
    forward to all yoսr posts! Keep upp thе great ѡork!


    Here іs my web blog: wewqe efsfdsf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very shortly this site will be famous among all blogging viewers, due to it's fastidious content

    My weblog; garage door repair anaheim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and
    personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they
    will be benefited from this site.

    Here is my blog post :: advanced background check

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up
    losing many months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any methods to prevent
    hackers?

    my webpage :: Advanced background check

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece of writing is in fact a fastidious one it helps new the
    web viewers, who are wishing for blogging.

    Here is my web page free online background check

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to
    look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be
    tweeting this to my followers! Fantastic blog and fantastic design.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog - advanced background check

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog
    and wished to mention that I have really enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing for your feed and I'm hoping
    you write once more very soon!

    Here is my web blog :: nationwide instant criminal database search

    ReplyDelete
  9. This piece of writing is actually a nice one it assists new web visitors,
    who are wishing in favor of blogging.

    my blog post background checks free

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the admin of this website is actually working hard for his web page,
    because here every data is quality based stuff.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage :: advanced background check

    ReplyDelete